recipes. whatever is true. adoption. whatever is just. redemption. whatever is honorable. modesty. whatever is pure. motherhood. whatever is lovely. think about it.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Why Do You Homeschool?


When my husband and I began our initial friendship many years ago we were still in school. I was in high school and he was just starting out in college. As our friendship grew into a serious role that we knew was leading us to marriage we began to discuss the important issues that were pertinent to a long lasting relationship. One of these at the forefront was our future children. Even then our hearts were wrapped around homeschooling.

Neither of us had ever been homeschooled. In fact, my husband was in public education from kindergarten to his senior year. His parents were both deeply rooted in the system, his father was the supervisor for special and gifted education and his mother was a talented teachers aide for many years. My parents enrolled me for my entire 12 year term in a private Christian school. The school that I attended had a socialization program for elementary age homeschoolers, but other than that I was not exposed to that specific dynamic in my daily life.

The most positive and biggest part of our decision to homeschool was based on the life and example of my cousins, Bo and Jan. Although they live over a thousand miles away, I have had the opportunity to watch their four children over the past 18 years grow and flourish under the tutelage of their Godly parents.

These are not only brilliant and social teenagers, but also show such respect and love for the Word, their mom and dad, and the discipline of their daily life. They love to work with their mom in the kitchen, talk theology with their father (who is also their pastor) and actively participate in politics in the community. As with all children, I know (and they would be the first to admit) that they are not perfect. Homeschooing does not 'turn out' children who do no wrong. It does, however, give the parents the ability to deal with it immediately, one on one, in love, through the power of the Holy Spirit.

My boys are just reaching the age to start schooling. My oldest and I started preschool together this fall and he will commence kindergarten studies this year. I am so excited to be there with them through all the years ahead! I am looking forward to being their teacher, mentor, chaueffer, and nurse for the next 15 years. There is no other way I'd rather have it! I have so many other thoughts and desires about homeschooling....I'll save that for another post.

In the meantime, please leave me a nice long comment about why you have decided to homeschool. I look forward to reading them and getting to know you a little better!

Blessings,

Angel






6 comments:

For Christ's Fame said...

As the American family unit begins to fray, it seems only to make sense to re-assert models that have historically provided family cohesion.

Stylin said...

Hi there,
I agree with you about home schooled children having a wholesome outlook.
We live in a horrible school district and Maybe next year my stepkids will attend a Christian school.Its something where you go once a week and submit your work.

Leah said...

Here's a link where you can read about our normal homeschool day. I know I've written about why we chose to homeschool originally, but I can't seem to find it just now. I'll keep looking though. I'll blog it when I find it! =)

http://southbreezefarm.blogspot.com/2007/11/yes-we-homeschool-revisited.html

Stylin said...

Hi Angelena
Is' nt it amazing how my request was answered about a running friend who loves to eat !Will add you to my blog roll !

AmPowerBlog said...

Hope you're having a great '08 so far!

The Nester said...

Well, I could write for an hour. And my honey could probably write for an hour more. And tomorrow, I could write for another hour, and it would be different. About why we are homeschooling, that is.

Ultimately, we felt like the Lord was calling us to do so. This is my first year and my goal is to enjoy it enough to want to do it again next year! And I am! My boys really like it too. We really like being together and emphasis a love of reading.