recipes. whatever is true. adoption. whatever is just. redemption. whatever is honorable. modesty. whatever is pure. motherhood. whatever is lovely. think about it.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Celebrating Life



"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves;
ensure justice for those who are perishing."

Proverbs 31:8


Back when I was in high school and especially in college, I considered myself quite the pro-life advocate. I jumped at every chance I had to debate the topic and pursue the issue of celebrating life. Most of my term papers included the discussion of human rights, speeches in speech class were all about life...to say the least, my fellow classmates knew where I stood.

After graduation I continued working in the Ob/Gyn office that I had interned for during my college years. I have always loved the idea of pregnancy, even as a little girl and knew that my career would surround it. I was in the (mostly) ideal office setting- a private practice with a pro-life doctor at the helm. It wasn't, however, as easy as all that. Obstetrics and gynecology are just that: all inclusive women's health. Just because the view of the practice were a 'life-centered' one, didn't mean that our patients felt or lived that same way.

I still remember the first time that I received 'the' call. A patients' husband called with news that they were pregnant, but due to bad timing they would like to proceed with an abortion. I immediately and kindly responded that our office did not practice elective abortions and he would need to search the yellow pages for a practitioner of his choice. And then hung up. I was stunned. A husband was calling. A husband. And I had referred them to the yellow pages. Just months earlier I would have lovingly counseled about the sanctity of life. I was disgusted, both at myself and the caller.

I worked at this practice for five years and every day inundated by immorality, preposterous ethics, and blatant disregard for the 'temple' as God created it. In time I found my boldness again to confront as the situation warranted it. The problem, however, was that I was no longer a concerned citizen or classmate, but rather an employee of the system that faces liability and lawsuits.

One patient, in particular, will always stand out to me. (I still believe this was a divine appointment from the Lord.) She was living in an abusive marriage and found out she was expecting. She was elated, always wanting a child (in her late 30's at this point), but her husband was outraged. He demanded she abort the baby immediately. She came into my office in tears and shared the details of her tragedy. She was an obedient wife and told me through her tears that she has made the appointment for the termination.

After obtaining consent (oh, where have all the good old days gone...thank you HIPPA) I began to pray with her and plead for the Lord to intervene in this situation. Mind you, this was not a Christian woman, but rather a Hindu who had rarely if never heard the name of Christ. I had the opportunity to share the Word with her that day as well. Her hearts' desire was to have this baby, no matter the cost.

She called me a few days later at the office because her husband had verbally and physically abused her when she told him that she hadn't gone through with the abortion. We prayed together again and I began searching for safe houses for her to stay at. She was able to get away for a short time, but due to the pressure of her husband, returned just a week later to him. She, however, held strong to her conviction and continued in the pregnancy.

Every other day we talked. She cried endless tears. I prayed. Day after day I reminded her why she was enduring this pain- because of the life of her child. I encouraged her to return to the safe house, but she refused. Her husband had flown her in-laws in to keep watch over her and she had to sneak away just to make the phone calls to our office.

After months of verbal and physical abuse, a precious little baby girl was born. Beautiful and innocent of everything that her mother went through for her birth. Her celebration of life.

Mama decided to name baby girl after me (middle name). We both had tears in our eyes the first time I held the baby. She hugged me and whispered that her little one was here today because I was brave enough (through Christ) to speak up that day many months ago.




Friends, have we lost our voices? Have we become so consumed with our daily lives that we are forgetting those who have no voice? I pray that this new year, we will remember to evangelize those in this lost and dying world who do not know Christ. Let us pray that their hearts would be changed and their minds would be renewed to know and celebrate the truth of a new life in Christ.


*January 22nd is the anniversary of Roe V Wade. Get out and speak up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a courageous story--both you and the mother! Thank you for sharing it.

MyKidsMom said...

Wow- what an amazing story! I have to admit I try NOT to think of the abortion issue because it is so horrible and seemingly something I can do nothing about. To have made a difference for that mother and child- what a wonderful thing.

Sandi said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've been thinkinh much about abortion lately for different reasons and found your story encouraging.

Kristi said...

Found you from Nestor and decided to read a bit more. Glad I found this post, what an inspiring story. A miracle this woman made it through to the birth.

I work with teen moms. We as Christians are always touting pro-life and I'm sure many would say adoption is the way, but so many girls want to parent their babies and I am so glad I found this org. to aid some of them in being able to do this while getting their lives on track to be able to support themselves and their child and hopefully witness the amazing love of God in the process.