recipes. whatever is true. adoption. whatever is just. redemption. whatever is honorable. modesty. whatever is pure. motherhood. whatever is lovely. think about it.

Friday, December 21, 2007

The Budget




I Timothy 6:17-19

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; 18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; 19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life."



If you've read my profile you know that besides running shoes, my favorite attire of choice is an apron. I love my kitchen and spend 80% of my time in here. So, grocery shopping is quite the outing for me. I enjoy browsing all the produce, snacking in the bakery department and as of late have made friends with the butcher. I love sales and usually only purchase what is on clearance for that week. Still, I knew I was going over my spending amount from our budget when it came to the checkout line 'total'.


I was shocked, however, to realize after some calculations that I was almost spending twice my allotted amount in the food category! I have made my New Years resolution early this year and am going to start planning out meals and shopping lists to make sure we are disciplined to our budget! Although we are blessed to not have car payments or credit card debt, it is still so easy to find myself spending above and beyond.



I wanted to bring your attention to some great websites that I have on my 'favorites'. All three have a Biblical perspective on stewardship. I've spent most of the afternoon working on our new plan and these sites were very helpful!

The first is the "Hillbilly Housewife". It is a fabulous free site that lists menu options, shopping lists, tips, and more for the the money conscious family.


"Living on a Dime" is also a great site to get inexpensive e-books on money management, debt, grocery tips, cleaning & household ideas, and much more! There are no shipping fees since the downloads are immediate to your computer.


If you have not yet had the opportunity to listen to Dave Ramsey during his radio broadcasts, I encourage you to click on the link in my sidebar to hear some of his wisdom on money management and debt. He is the foremost authority on the 'plastectomy' (aka: cutting up your credit cards!)

I look forward to hearing your ideas of stewardship for your family! I find that it is important all year round, but especially during this season of gift giving, parties, and reunion style family dinners!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Good for you, Angel! I'm really looking forward to reading your follow-up posts on this topic.

~ Leah