Last week my husband and I started our first "Fuel Cycle" on the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan. It is a more structured week or two to help kick things into gear in regards to losing a few stubborn pounds. When we came to day 6, a full "E" day (energizing/carbs), I was a little stuck on what I could enjoy that didn't involve apples. Almost everything on the Pinterest site involved fruit dishes with oats and that is all well and good... but I wanted CHOCOLATE! And not pudding, either. Chocolate cake...chocolate brownies...chocolate muffins.
As I often do when I'm hungry, I head to the kitchen to create some inventive sort of yumminess that is on plan, but not in the recipe books or sites that I have found.
Okay-dokey. Here is a great and delish recipe for brownies on an E day... or any day if you just want something that is tasty and you don't even follow the THM plan!
- Egg Whites
- Whole Oats
- Cocoa Powder
- Swansons Vanilla Unsweetened Whey Powder
- Xylitol or Truvia
- 0% fat Greek Yogurt
- Cream or tartar
- Baking powder
- Put 1 1/2 cup egg whites in a bowl and blend with hand mixer until stiff peaks form (much like a meringue). I use egg whites from the carton. Add 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and blend for another 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In Vitamix or Ninja blender, put in two cups of whole dry oats, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 scoop of Swanson's whey powder, dash of salt, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1 cup of xylitol (or truvia). Blend on high until a flour-like powder form.
- Add "chocolate" flour to egg white meringue and let sit on top while you add 1/2 cup greek yogurt and a splash of vanilla.
- Blend everything with electric beaters until meringue goes down to half size and the consistency looks much more like a brownie batter.
- Put into brownie pan or casserole dish (I sprayed mine very lightly with olive oil) and bake on 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Should be able to insert toothpick and come out clean.
- Let set up for about 30 minutes and top with strawberries or a plan-approved pudding or icing.